CJ Series Hubs, Cast Iron, A And B Style Metric Bores
Flexible couplings are designed for linking two rotating shafts which are not properly aligned, for transmitting rotational power (torque) from one shaft to another. Flexible couplings comprise two hubs and a spider, with each hub being attached to a shaft while the spider flexes between the hubs for accommodating the misalignment between shafts. Shaft misalignments are radial, parallel or angular, and cause complications while transferring rotational power from one shaft to the other, in the form of loads, vibrations, stresses and other forces which change as per the type of misalignment.
Lovejoy coupling hubs are ideal for internal gas combustion engine and electrical motor applications. These Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs feature a curved jaw profile that helps in concentrating torque to the central region of the spider's limbs, thereby improving the efficiency of the elastomeric material. The three piece design of Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs makes them compatible with both radially and axially misaligned spiders.
These Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs are made of cast iron to ensure high compression strength and resisting corrosion on exposed surfaces. These Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs do not require any lubrication and prevent metal to metal contact for reduced friction. Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs, when assembled to form CJ Series couplings, deliver torque ranging from 67 to 247800 inch-lb.
Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs are used in conjunction with spiders to form couplings, which are ideal for linking two misaligned rotating shafts. These Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs are used in a wide range of applications, such as conveyors, escalators, motor vehicles, forestry, agricultural & mining, as well as in the robotics & aeronautics industries.
Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs are attached with a spider to form a jaw coupling. In these jaw couplings, the spider is compressed between the jaws of the coupling hubs. These jaws operate within the same plane, as the driving hub jaws push towards the driven hub jaws. The legs of the elastomeric spider help in transferring and cushioning the force through coupling absorbers between the driving & driven jaws while being compressed between them. These coupling absorbers are attached for absorbing the vibration and shock from getting transferred, which consequently protects the surrounding components from getting damaged.
- Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs are used in combination with spiders for joining shafts with parallel, radial or angular misalignment.
- These Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs are offered in both bored and unbored variants by Raptor Supplies. The bored variants are available in bore sizes ranging from 12 to 90 mm.
- Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs help in linking the shafts with angular displacement up to 1.2 degrees and axial displacement up to 0.87 inches.
- These hubs help in rotating the shaft at speeds up to 6000 rpm.
- These Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs feature cast iron construction to provide high compression strength and corrosion resistance on exposed surfaces.
- For eliminating misalignments, the distance between the spider and hub face should be between 3.05 and 5.59 mm.
- These Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs can be used with four types of spiders: 80 Shore A (Blue) for excellent vibration dampening, 92 Shore A (Yellow) for hydraulic applications, 95 / 98 Shore A (Red) for high torque applications and 64 Shore D (Green) for humid environments.
- Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs are compatible with spiders having thicknesses ranging from 20 to 34 mm.
- Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs are compatible with 64 Shore D (Green) spiders for use in humid environments, 80 Shore A (Blue) spiders for excellent vibration dampening, 92 Shore A (Yellow) spiders for hydraulic applications and 95 / 98 Shore A (Red) spiders for high torque applications. All these spiders are made of polyurethane for ensuring resistance against dirt, sand, oil, grease, moisture, solvents & atmospheric ozone effects. These spiders can accommodate angular misalignments ranging from 0.9 to 1.3 degrees, parallel misalignments from 0.008 to 0.027 inches and axial misalignments from 0.039 to 0.252 inches. Except green spiders, all remaining spiders are capable of withstanding temperatures up to 248 degrees F. The green spiders can be operated at a maximum temperature of 266 degrees F.
Standards and Approvals
Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs comply with ISO 9001:2008 international standards for high quality services.
- Before mounting the hubs, set the keys in the shaft keyways such that the key fits properly in the keyway, with minimal side to side movement. Standard keys should ideally be of same length or marginally longer than the keyway in the hub. Woodruff keys are normally shorter and may not transfer the same amount of torque.
- Slide the suitable hub on each shaft over the key, while aligning the hub face with the shaft end. Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs are designed with a clearance & slip fit, so they should slide onto the shaft with negligible difficulty.
- Tighten the set screw in one hub to the required torque value with a calibrated torque wrench and then lightly tighten the second set screw, allowing possible axial adjustments when the equipment is moved.
- Insert the spider into one hub. If both shafts need to extend into the spider centre, the hub may not align with the shaft end.
- Move the equipment into the exact location for achieving the gap between hub faces. Lovejoy CJ coupling hubs can overhang slightly or be moved back on the shafts for compensating misalignments in shaft separation.
- Check alignment using either a dial indicator or the straight edge method, taking measurements at four locations 90 degrees apart, to ensure that alignment does not exceed the permissible misalignment.
- Tighten the set screws with a calibrated torque wrench, to the required torque.
- Recheck parallel, angular and axial alignment for accuracy.
- Remove any material & tooling away from the shaft and coupler. Install the suitable coupling guard per OSHA requirements and remove the tagout or lockout kit from the power supply. The equipment is now ready to be tested.
Frequently Asked Questions
What other variants of Lovejoy jaw coupling hubs are offered by Raptor Supplies?
Raptor Supplies offers Lovejoy jaw coupling hubs such as CJ coupling hubs and L Type coupling hubs.
How do you measure a Lovejoy CJ coupling?
The BSE (shaft separation) dimension for a Lovejoy coupling should be measured from one end of the first shaft to the other end of the second shaft, not to Lovejoy CJ coupling hub faces.
What is the difference between rigid and flexible couplings?
Rigid couplings offer a rigid connection between two shafts that are firmly connected, and facilitate the coupling to transfer torque smoothly throughout the system. Flexible couplings provide flexible connections, and there is a chance of losing some torque during transmission.
Where is the headquarters of Lovejoy?
Lovejoy Inc. is headquartered at Downers Grove, Illinois, US
Which company owns Lovejoy Inc.?
The Timken Company, the global leader of bearings and power transmission products, owns Lovejoy.